The Northern Region
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Constitution

+2
Georgicles
Admin
6 posters

Go down

The Constitution Empty The Constitution

Post  Admin Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:31 pm

I will have the Constitution posted shortly. It still needs to be ratified.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thenorthernregion.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

The Constitution Empty Re: The Constitution

Post  Admin Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:28 pm

We the Confederate Nations of The Northern Region unite to form a perfect union.

I. Each nation holds sovereignty and may join or leave of its own accord.
II. Permission lies with the residing nations to admit new nations to the rank of “sovereign, power holding, entity.”
III. Internal affairs will be dealt with by individual nations, unless a crises proves to affect other nations in the Confederacy. Such crises will be settled by the present nations and all nations must be notified and the time
IV. War upon a nation in the Confederacy is a war on the Confederacy its self. We charge that all nations should go to war in such “self-defensive” wars. Unanimous consent is required for the Confederacy to wage war or join in a war.
V. These nations are sovereign and are not subject to foreign laws and restrictions. They are free to obey World Assembly laws, as long as they don’t contradict this Constitution.
VI. We are highly opinionated nations who hold to our guns and our capitalism. Any attempt to stand against the Confederacy’s right to either of these will result in the loss of sovereign nation privileges like voting, having a say in how the government is runned, and ruling on issues.
VII. Christianity will be the official religion of this region, with the Holy Bible as the guiding manual for clarification and solving disputes between nations. Other beliefs are welcome in this region, but cannot have any say or influence in the government of this region.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thenorthernregion.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

The Constitution Empty Re: Constituion

Post  Georgicles Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:05 pm

I like how its not too restricting. Hardly at all, and yet still binds the nations together for protection and for everyone's well being. I vote aye.

Georgicles

Back to top Go down

Post  Adult Recursion Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:28 am

It all looks okay to me except for the last bit about Christianity being the official religion. . .
Adult Recursion
Adult Recursion

Back to top Go down

The Constitution Empty Can't believe I misspelled Constitution earlier...

Post  Georgicles Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:23 am

I'm ok with Christainity being the official religion only because it allows for other beliefs at the same time. I don't put much emphasis on religion (ignore the whole Holy Empire bit, I just use religion to control my subjects).

Georgicles

Back to top Go down

Post  Adult Recursion Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:51 pm

Georgicles wrote:I'm ok with Christainity being the official religion only because it allows for other beliefs at the same time. I don't put much emphasis on religion (ignore the whole Holy Empire bit, I just use religion to control my subjects).

I don't like the idea of Christianity having a input on our government while excluding all other religions and there opinions. I don't care what religion you follow but when you try to force it on other people I have to object. Separation of church from state is not something I take lightly. . .
Adult Recursion
Adult Recursion

Back to top Go down

Post  Pickled Pig Feet Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:32 pm

Though its not commonly known, the origins of the United States government are in the bible and in the ideas of those who followed the bible. The bible has come to be a law book that christians and nonchristians appreciate. For example, in the U.S. if someone steals you car and crashes it, they are sent to prison and paid for from your tax dollars. In a biblical society, the guilty party would be forced to work until he has paid you 4 times the cost car's damages. Now how do you like that? Very Happy .

Many people point to the enlightenment as being the supreme influence, but if you ever sit down and read the writings of the founders, you find only a few that even appreciated the enlightenment. The Hebrew Republic of the old testament with its checks and balances was the foundation for ours. John Adams took time to study the Greek Republic, but was highly dissapointed with it, as was Thomas Jefferson. John Locke had a lot of influence, but its my claim that he was christian (that's a whole other debate for another time). John Calvin and Augustine were other big influences. The U.S. was a christian republic, only to be changed in such key times as the War between the States, 1913, and the reign of King Roosevelt in the Great Depression.

All this to say, most of the laws presented in the Constitution of the U.S. are straight from the bible or of some sort of biblical origin, and the U.S. has been a great nation. Even much of UK's common law came from the bible. Here in The Northern Region's Constitution we just decided to admit that our laws are of biblical origin and we were a bit lazy, not wanting to write pages upon pages of a Constitution.

As far as the separation of church is state is concerned, where is that in our law? Its not in the U.S. Constitution, its not in the Declaration of Independence, it was merely from a letter out of context from a certain founder and a late Supreme Court Justice took it and made it a solution in a case, even though it was no part of our law.

With that being said, I'm going to Disneyland for the weekend. Feel free to attack my ideas. Let's start debating in the Debate Room and we can vote on the Constitution sometime next week. You are good men (and women) and I'm glad we all be part of this Region together.

Last edited by Pickled Pig Feet on Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammatical errors)

Pickled Pig Feet

Back to top Go down

Post  Maralal Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:17 pm

Well said!

Maralal

Back to top Go down

The Constitution Empty What makes the U.S. Constitution that great?

Post  Georgicles Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:34 pm

I'm fine either way with religion being a part of the region's constitution, but why base it completely on the American version? I'd argue that there are quite a few better social contracts out in the real world than the one a bunch of amateurs hastily created based on some writings of people not even invested in the creation of the States. For example a representative democracy like Israel is much better than what the U.S. has. Also, Christianity isn't the perfect religion either. I've experimented with several different religions before just settling on being Agnostic. Check out Daoism if you want to base a constitution on religion.

Georgicles

Back to top Go down

Post  Adult Recursion Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:39 pm

I wasn't aware that the United States was of any relevance to The Northern Region's Constitution. . .
Adult Recursion
Adult Recursion

Back to top Go down

Post  Majestic Baboons Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:27 am

Adult Recursion wrote:I wasn't aware that the United States was of any relevance to The Northern Region's Constitution. . .

Not directly, it's just that the United States' founding fathers had a lot of stuff right when they wrote the Constitution and other documents, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to base our regional government on some of their ideas and policies.
Majestic Baboons
Majestic Baboons

Back to top Go down

Post  Pickled Pig Feet Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:52 am

True, there are very good policies that other nations have brought up and this Constitution was written by two completely biased Americans. If you wish to suggest further additions, that's completely fine.

Pickled Pig Feet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down